Album release: Between Buildings, Toward The Sea
Autumn Owls first formed in Dublin in 2007, releasing two EPs in 2008 and touring extensively in Europe for the next few years; they also performed at key North American events such as SXSW, CMJ, Canadian Music Week and NXNE. After receiving an excellent reception to their EPs from the likes of The Irish Times, Channel 4, State.ie, AU Magazine and The Evening Herald, the band finally settled in to writing their debut full-length late last year.
To record the album, the Dublin trio headed over to the U.S. to enter the studio with producer Brian Deck (Modest Mouse / Iron & Wine). The result was a record of deliciously cold, atmosopheric indie rock, packed full of eerie guitar riffs, stuttering drums and haunting, reverb-drenched vocals. There are nods to the likes of Wilco, Interpol, Slint and Arab Strap, with occasional hints of The Beatles, Radiohead and Nick Drake too. But sonically, the album is definitely the band's own, with McFarlane's vocals and guitar riffs hovering icily over a sparse production that manages to be both clinical and emotive at once.
With some very strong press coverage previously attained for their EPs, a Phantom FM track of the day already in the bag for this album's "Spare Room" track, the future looks very interesting for Autumn Owls.
- The Autumn Owls started the band in college
- They have no day jobs; they just play music
- Their album was recorded with one of their favorite producers, Brian Deck (Califone, Iron and Wine, Modest Mouse, Fruit Bats) in Chicago
- They've played the following festivals in North America: SXSW, CMJ, NXNE, CMW, NX35
- They've played the following festivals in Europe: Forbidden Fruit, Hard Working Class Heroes, Indiependence, Knockanstockan and Postivus\
Dates to watch out for
- Hard Working Class Heroes Festival appearance - 6 October at Button Factory, Dublin
- Instore at Tower Records Dublin - 19 October, 5:00pm
- Release party at Grand Social, Dublin - 20 October
- Gig at Roisin Dubh, Galway - November 9
- Gig at Passionfruit Theatre, Athlone - November 10
For more information please contact Chris Singleton at email@example.com or on +44 7790 591707.
More informationIf you would like some more information about this release, or would like to contact us about interview opportunities / review copies, just contact us via our press enquiries form.
Subscribe to our press releases
You can click here to subscribe to our press releases - we'll send you a weekly digest of all our latest releases.