Tour announcement: American Football
Dates: May 14-16 2015
Tickets from: American Football website
It’s finally happening…In May 2015, American Football are coming to the UK for the first time to play three dates in London, Leeds and Manchester. The dates follow on from American Football’s incredibly successful US reunion tour, and the reissue of their seminal self-titled album.
- May 14th 2015 - London, UK @ Electric Ballroom
- May 15th 2015 - Leeds, UK @ Brudenell Social Club
- May 16th 2015 - Manchester, UK @ Gorilla
In the 15 years since its release, American Football's self-titled debut full-length has quietly become one of the most fiercely beloved titles in the US indie Polyvinyl catalogue. Though the trio - Mike Kinsella (Cap'n Jazz, Owen, Owls), Steve Lamos, and Steve Holmes - only played a few shows and released just one other record (a three-song EP that preceded this full-length), their influence and legacy has steadily continued to grow in the time after they disbanded.
From its now iconic artwork to the band's unique songwriting approach (highlighted by an emphasis on shifting time signatures and sincere lyrics), American Football proves a record doesn't become a true classic through flashiness or catering to trends, but rather the deep emotional connection it forges between the music and the listener.
A testament to the act's lasting influence, American Football maintains a loyal fanbase eager for material from the band. Due to an outpouring of request, in 2004 Polyvinyl reissued American Football on vinyl. Following up on past success and requests, in 2008 Polyvinyl issued a 1-sided 12" of the American Football EP with new photography by Chris Strong. Despite the small amount of recorded work and hardly any touring, American Football remains one of Polyvinyl Record's most loved bands to this day.
Previous praise for American Football
- “…currently the most influential album in the genre” – Pitchfork (8.6)
- “The album serves as what indie rock should be about, synthesizing the musical world around us, not dividing and separating.” – PASTE Magazine
- “…there’s no question that the music that American Football did produce is as close to timeless as modern indie gets” – The Line Of Best Fit
- “… one of emo’s essential LPs” – CLASH
More informationIf you would like some more information about this release, or would like to contact us about interview opportunities / review copies, just contact us via our press enquiries form.
Subscribe to our press releases
You can click here to subscribe to our press releases - we'll send you a weekly digest of all our latest releases.