Box set release: '7IN – 83-88' by R.E.M.
Release date: 8 December 2014
Label: UMC / Capitol
More information: on R.E.M. website
Eleven singles that R.E.M. released between 1983 and 1988 with I.R.S. Records have been gathered for 7IN – 83-88, a new boxed collection of vinyl seven-inch singles to be released December 8 by UMC/Capitol. The singles feature replicated original picture sleeve art and the set includes two U.K. releases making their U.S. vinyl seven-inch debuts: “Finest Worksong” / “Time After Time” (live) and the double-pack single for “Wendell Gee” with “Crazy,” “Ages of You,” and “Burning Down.”
R.E.M.’s early storytelling was both epic and familiar, with themes of loss and alienation expressed in several songs, including “So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry),” “(Don’t Go Back To) Rockville,” and in their 1987 Top 10, “The One I Love.” This new, transformative music emitted from the sleepy/sharp college town of Athens, Georgia, where R.E.M. and other bands forged a scene, which spawned a movement and ultimately led to a cultural sea change in music.
1987’s “Its The End Of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” was a tongue-twisting pop culture rally cry, beckoning to the tuned-out masses, listless casualties of 1980s economics, politics, and general ‘Me Generation’ malaise. In December 1987, Rolling Stone’s year-end issue celebrated R.E.M. on its cover as "America's Best Rock & Roll Band." By the end of R.E.M.’s run with I.R.S. Records, the band’s success had paved the way for a new generation of alt-rock and grunge acts, as Athens’ finest continued to lead the charge.
Popular music’s modern-day evolution can be traced in step with R.E.M.’s ascent and reign as one of music’s most creative and influential bands. Explore the history that leads back to Athens. These are the documents.
R.E.M. ‘7IN – 83-88’
- “Radio Free Europe” / “There She Goes Again”
- “So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry)” / “King of the Road”
- “(Don’t Go Back To) Rockville” / “Catapult” (Live)
- “Can’t Get There From Here” / “Bandwagon”
- “Driver 8” / “Crazy”
- “Wendell G” / “Crazy” + “Ages of You” / “Burning Down” [U.K. double-pack, previously unreleased in U.S.]
- “Fall On Me” / “Rotary Ten”
- “Superman” / “White Tornado”
- “The One I Love” / “Maps and Legends” (Live)
- “Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” / “Last Date”
- “Finest Worksong” / “Time After Time” (Live) (U.K. single, previously unreleased in U.S.)
More informationIf you would like some more information about this release, or would like to contact us about interview opportunities / review copies, just contact us via our press enquiries form.
Subscribe to our press releases
You can click here to subscribe to our press releases - we'll send you a weekly digest of all our latest releases.