Single release: Ahead of Ideas by City Reign
Release date: 5 November 2012
Label: Car Boot Records
Listen: Visit the official site for music
Manchester indie-rock trio City Reign have announced the release of the first single, Ahead of Ideas, from their forthcoming debut album Another Step. The sound builds on the raw energy and exciting promise of the early demos, including Making Plans which caught the ears of Steve Lamacq in late 2011. Rising guitar lines meet well versed melody in one of their strongest tracks to date.
The band teamed up with Manchester-based producer Sam Jones for the album, who took the band into Sacred Trinity Church in Salford to record. Jones chose the church for its rich natural reverb, which helped to bring depth to the band’s classic guitar sound.
City Reign’s vocalist and guitarist Chris Bull says: “I think we’re taking a risk with this single, it’s one of the most ambitious tracks we’ve recorded...The church was a great venue to record in and we have Sam to thank for that. We’re really happy with the rich and atmospheric sound we achieved on the album.”
Using the church as a venue wasn't without its drawbacks, with the band once having to clear out in the middle of a crucial session recording a string quartet; the church had been double-booked, with some confrontational locals wanting to attend a memorial service.
City Reign are song-writing pair Chris Bull and Mike Grice with Duncan Bolton on drums. The album, Another Step, is due for release in early 2013.
The band will play the following live dates in support of the single:
- October 6th – The Deaf Institute – Manchester – Clash Magazine Launch Night w/ Jim Noir
- November 2nd - Belushi's – Edinburgh
- November 3rd – Audio – Glasgow
- November 7th – Viper Rooms – Sheffield
- November 8th – Lomax – Liverpool
- November 9th – Escobar – Leeds
- November 20th – Pop In – Paris
- November 22nd – Winstons – Amsterdam
- November 24th – The Castle - Manchester
Notes to editors
- The band have been together for three years but Chris and Mike have been writing and recording music since 2006
- Their independent record label, Car Boot Records, was set up last year to release City Reign material and is now a growing business
- Steve Lamacq listed them among his favourite new bands during 2010’s ‘In The City’ Festival shortly before the band launched their debut E.P. Numbers for Street Names
- Previous singles Out in the Cold, Daybreak and Making Plans received great praise amongst bloggers and online press, including a recommendation from The Independent
More information / press enquiries
Don't miss great Prescription stories and content
- Get our press releases delivered to your inbox
- Follow us on Twitter
- Follow us on Facebook
- Subscribe via RSS
- Get our free must-have tips and advice on music promotion
- Visit our website to find out more about our music PR and band promotion services.
More informationIf you would like some more information about this release, or would like to contact us about interview opportunities / review copies, just contact us via our press enquiries form.
Subscribe to our press releases
You can click here to subscribe to our press releases - we'll send you a weekly digest of all our latest releases.