Single release: Simone by Andrea Balency
Release date: 18 May 2015
More info: www.andreabalency.com
After her very-long awaited second EP, 'Volcano', released on March 16th on Bataille and an exclusive premiere on Dazed for her single 'Waterfalls', Andrea Balency reveals a new single, 'Simone', demonstrating a growth in style, experience and quality beyond that which she has already earned.
Co-written, co-composed and co-produced by Rob McAndrews, the track finds itself in a long-standing artistic collaboration between the British producer and the French-Mexican artist. After the successful debut recording 'You’ve Never Been Alone' in 2014, the 1-800 Dinosaur co-founder joined Andrea on production duties again on 'Volcano', which he entirely co-produced with her.
Having stood out for, and built her persona in the ‘cutely-breathy-females scene’ (The Guardian), Andrea Balency demonstrates a much more rich, more mature, more strong, vocal ability. Her voice has always been a key strength in her arsenal, yet she has discovered a new way to utilise it, finding a beautiful relationship between voice and drums, as if the voice is the thumping heart of a big storm.
RBMA certified, Andrea Balency has been charming the music industry ever since her musical presence was spotted in the Mexican art-rock scene. She has since been singled out for tour support by James Blake, Au Revoir Simone, Inc. and Mount Kimbie to name a few, and was even hand-selected by The Cure for the closing gig of their worldwide tour at the Mexico DF stadium, for 50,000 people. She’s seen many collaborations with a number of producers, of which particular highlights are vocal features on the FKA Twigs / We Are Shining track ‘Breaks’ and on Airhead’s lauded album 'For Years'. Festival slots at Calvi On The Rocks, SXSW and Sonar; recent tours with Banks, Metronomy and London Grammar and continual approval from esteemed press are further testaments to Andrea’s outstanding talent.
Andrea says : “Simone is very different from the songs in « Volcano », so different that it almost feels like a side project. It’s a nice breath of fresh air, a little break from the heavier stuff I’ve been working on. It’s one of the very first collaborations between me and Rob McAndrews. We made it long distance and it took a very long time to finish it- but we saw each other to work on it in person and here it is finally. Hope you enjoy it.”
PRESS REACTION TO DATE
- ‘Her vision is total and it’s strikingly effective’ - Fader
- ‘It’s a mesmeric blend of Bat for Lashes, FKA Twigs and Björk. Not a bad bunch to fall in with.’ - Noisey
- ‘Andrea Balency is one of the most interesting and diverse female vocalists around right now.’ - Notion Magazine
- ‘Heartbeats. Synth R&B production. Impossibly perfect, breathy vocals. Andrea Balency has it all.’ - Stereogum
- ‘Andrea Balency has a hauntingly beautiful and smoky vocal style and knack for creating intricate atmospheric soundscapes rich with texture.’ - Earmilk
- ‘Everything is immediately appealing, easy on the ear, but will satisfy fans of the avant-garde, reminding you that sometimes, flukes – out there experiments such as O Superman – can suddenly find their way into millions of homes.’ - The Guardian
- ‘Rather than adding to what has become the echo chamber of EDM, Balency’s ethereal voice and soft structures instead aim to mimic the movements of contemporary dance.’ - The New York Times