Single release: Cha Cha Cha
Release date: 15 April 2014
Label: Any Other City
Tour dates: 19 April - 20 September 2014
“Feral noise” - Clash
“These shores’ answer to HEALTH’s pained, psychotic frenzies and Liars’ daring invention. They’re that good.” - DIY
“Abrasive, unrestrained and exhilarating” - NME
“Rules in excelsis” - The Quietus
“Noise-pop genius” - Drowned In Sound
Girl Band release the follow up to their 6 minute+ release “Lawman” with the somewhat shorter 25 second single “The Cha Cha”, out on a 100 limited flexidisc’s (presented in wooden boxes) via their label Any Other City for Record Store Day. As well as independent stores in Ireland, the single will also be stocked at Rough Trade.
Girl Band will also play London’s Lock Tavern Festival to celebrate the release, this coming Saturday 19th April. With a capacity of 80, and free entry, get there (very) early.
The band follow this with more UK and Euro shows, including a performance at Primavera.
You can catch the band on these dates:
- 19th April - The Lock Tavern Festival, London
- 10th May - The Great Escape, Brighton
- 23rd May - Life Festival, Mullingar (ie)
- 28th May - L’Ubu, Perpignan
- 29th May - Primavera Sound, Barcelona
- 31st May - Le Chinois, Montreuil
- 3rd June - The Bell Jar, Sheffield
- 4th June - Bloc, Glasgow
- 5th June - Electric Circus, Edinburgh
- 6th June - Belgrave Music Hall, Leeds
- 7th June - Prince Albert, Brighton
- 9th June - The Cookie Jar, Leicester
- 10th June - The Portland Arms, Cambridge
- 11th June - The Shacklewell Arms, London
- 12th June - L’Envers, Bordeaux (fr)
- 13th June - Charada, Madrid (es)
- 14th June - Whipporwill, Oviedo (es)
- 15th June - Ibu Hots, Vitoria-Gasteiz (es)
- 17th June - La Flèche d’or, Paris (fr)
- 19th June - OCCII, Amsterdam (nl)
- 20th June - Charlatan, Gent (be)
- 21st June - Best Kept Secret Festival, Hilvarenbeek
- 22nd June - Ekko, Utrecht (nl)
- 10th August - Beacons Festival, Skipton
- 20th September - Clonakilty Guitar Festival, Clonakilty (ie)
Girl Band’s handful of UK dates in January were a revelation, with a 4 star live review that earned them comparisons to The Birthday Party in The Guardian and more kind words in the NME for their opener in Brighton.
The start of the year saw widespread blog appreciation, with the band being covered as The Guardian’s New Band Of The Day and “Lawman” receiving Pitchfork’s approval.
After healthy orders of the record on 7”, which has now sold out entirely, they put “Lawman” up for free download via their Bandcamp.