Compilation: Great Expectations - The Football Album
Release date: 14 May 2012
Label: Spectrum Audio / Universal Music
This summer, football fans across the country come together for one of the world’s biggest tournaments – Euro 2012, held this year in Poland and Ukraine. Captured here on CD courtesy of Spectrum Audio and Universal Music is a thorough collection of world football’s most recognizable theme tunes, flag waving classics and terrace anthems. This collection of fan favourites is the soundtrack to the highs, the lows and all the singing in between.
Included on this collection are five Top 10 tracks, including two Number 1s. Below is the track listing with “commentary”.
1. Match of The Day Theme - Sacre
Over the years there may have been many version recorded but football TV coverage is simply incomplete without this.
2. Football, Football – Edmundo Ros
This Latin homage to the beautiful game regularly features in TV coverage and is guaranteed to raise spirits.
3. Mas Que Nada – Sergio Mendes
Another Latin classic and football TV favourite this is the aural equivalent of some exquisite Pele dribbling. Pure class and recorded in the golden year of ’66.
4. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da – The England World Cup Squad
This England World Cup Squad serve up a truly unique version of this Ska influenced Beatles classic.
5. Que Sera Sera – Geno Washington & The Ram Jam Band
England supporters know only too well, whatever will be, will be and Dexy’s Midnight Runners favourite Geno knew this too in ’66 when he recorded it.
6. Sportnight Theme – Tony Hatch
Mr Hatch should have been knighted for his services to TV themes in the 60s and 70s. This one from 1974 is one of his many sporting classics.
7. Keep on Running – The Spencer Davis Group
This UK No.1 hit from 1965 has provided the sound bed for more training footage TV features at both club and country level than anyone can remember and one spin explains why.
8. On The Ball Theme – John Schroeder Orchestra
Another classic football TV theme tune, this time from ITV’s Saturday’s lunchtime spot way back (and briefly revisited by Gabby Logan).
This piece needs no introduction but this recent version is class, boasting both the Royal Choral Society and BBC Concert Orchestra.
10. Rule Britannia
Flags out as Della Jones and the BBC Concert Orchestra raise the stakes.
11. Land Of Hope & Glory
Seeing as we’re already standing and waving flags we might as well continue.
12. If the Kids Are United – Sham 69
This muscular summer top 10 hit from 1978 was immediately adopted for terrace chants the next season and it’s easy to hear why.
13. Saturdays Kids – The Jam
The Jam were popular with football fans and this cut, reminiscent of the times features a first verse that includes the line ‘…drink lots of beer and wait for half time results’. Perfect.
14. Lily the Pink – The England World Cup Squad
Talking of beer, this UK No.1 for The Scaffold and subsequent good-humoured terrace favourite gets ‘the team’s’ unique vocal treatment. It’s hard not to sing along.
15. World Cup Willie – Lonnie Donegan
His skiffle records influenced John Lennon whilst this, recorded with some foresight in 1965 sought to humorously benefit from our adventures in ’66. Quality.
16. Nessum Dorma – Luciano Pavarotti
It’s hard to imagine a time when this classic won’t be associated with the World Cup yet it wasn’t always so, recorded as it was way back in 1973.
17. The Dambusters March
Time to reach for the flag again; we’re on the march to the top.
18. Theme from The Great Escape
The nation’s lost count of how many times the boys have played their way into and out of trouble!
19. Celebration – Kool & The Gang
Where’s the champagne, we’ve done it?
20. Come On Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners
The end is nigh, so why not sing along to this UK No.1 and party perennial from ’82.
21. Best In Football Theme – Tony Hatch
Another football TV theme, this with sentiment. The team aim to be and we all hope they will be!
22. There'll Always Be An England – The England World Cup Squad
Thanks for reminding us.
More information / press enquiries
Don't miss great Prescription stories and content
- Get our press releases delivered to your inbox - subscribe at www.prescriptionmusicpruk.com/press-releases/
- Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/prescriptionpr
- Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/prescriptionpr
- Subscribe via RSS: http://feeds.feedburner.com/prescriptionpr
- Get our free must-have tips and advice on music promotion - subscribe to The Prescription e-newsletter.
- Visit www.prescriptionpr.co.uk to find out more about our music PR and band promotion services.